AGENCY FORMATION AND THE ISLA VISTA REDEVELOPMENT PLAN
In 1990, the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors adopted the Isla Vista Redevelopment Plan, establishing the Isla Vista Redevelopment Agency and the Isla Vista Project Area. The Redevelopment Plan goals are:
- To remedy, remove and prevent physical blight and economic obsolescence;
- Encourage housing rehabilitation; develop public infrastructure improvements;
- Increase open space;
- Protect environmentally sensitive areas;
- Address infrastructure issues; and
- Construct public facilities.
Through the Redevelopment Plan, the Redevelopment Agency can not use eminent domain to acquire land, though the Agency can acquire land from willing sellers for commercial, housing, and mixed use projects. Through the Redevelopment Plan, the Agency is also permitted to assist in the development or redevelopment of private commercial and mixed use projects.