Terms of Service
The materials and information contained on or obtained from this website, are distributed and transmitted "as is" without warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including without limitation, warranties of title or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Information contained on this website, including information obtained from external links thereon, is provided without any representation of any kind as to accuracy or content and should be verified by the user. The County of Santa Barbara is not responsible for any special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages that may arise from the use of, or the inability to use, the website and/or the materials contained on the site whether the materials contained on the website are provided by the County of Santa Barbara or a third party
I. YOUR USE OF COUNTYOFSB.ORG
You agree to access and use Countyofsb.org only for lawful purposes. You are solely responsible for the knowledge of and adherence to any and all laws, statutes, rules and regulations pertaining to your use of Countyofsb.org. By accessing Countyofsb.org and related websites, you agree that you will not:
a) use Countyofsb.org to commit a criminal offense or to encourage others to engage in any conduct which would constitute a criminal offense;
b) use Countyofsb.org in a way to give rise to civil liability or encourage others to engage in any conduct which would give rise to civil liability;
c) use Countyofsb.org to impersonate other parties or entities;
d) use Countyofsb.org to upload any material that may alter, damage, or interrupt the functionality of Countyofsb.org or the hardware or software of any other person who accesses Countyofsb.org;
e) upload, post, email, or otherwise transmit any materials that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or contractual relationship;
f) alter, damage, or delete any content posted on Countyofsb.org;
g) disrupt Countyofsb.org or its servers or networks in any way; or
h) claim a relationship with or represent any business, association, or other organization with which you are not authorized to claim such a relationship or to represent.
II. PASSWORDS AND ACCOUNT SECURITY
You agree and understand that you are responsible for maintaining the security and confidentiality of passwords associated with any account you use on County websites. Accordingly, you agree that you will be solely responsible to the County for all activities that occur under your account.
III. INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE
IV. LINKS TO SITES OF NON-COUNTY ENTITIES
Countyofsb.org may contain links to other sites on the Internet that are operated by parties other than the County. The County does not imply approval of the listed destinations, warrant the accuracy of any information set out in those destinations, or endorse any opinions expressed therein. Like Countyofsb.org, all other websites operate under the auspices and at the direction of their respective owners who should be contacted directly with questions regarding the content of those sites.
V. MISCELLANEOUS TERMS
a) Nothing contained in or displayed on Countyofsb.org or in these Terms constitutes or is intended to constitute legal advice by the County or any of its agencies, officers, employees, agents, attorneys, or representatives.
b) The County's failure to exercise or enforce any legal right or remedy which is contained in the Terms (or which the County otherwise has under applicable law), shall not constitute a waiver of any of the County's rights or remedies, and shall not be construed to be a modification of the Terms.
c) The County reserves the right to revise and otherwise change the Terms at any time and without notice. Any modification is effective immediately upon posting, unless otherwise stated. Your continued use of Countyofsb.org following the posting of any modification signifies your acceptance thereof. You should periodically visit this page to review the current Terms and Conditions of Use.
d) All material on this website is owned by the County of Santa Barbara. You may not copy, reproduce, transmit, distribute, commercially exploit or create derivative works of such material or content without express consent.
VI. GOOGLE™ TRANSLATOR DISCLAIMER
The County of Santa Barbara's website is provided in English. However, the "Google Translate" option may assist you in reading it in other languages.
Google Translate cannot translate all types of documents, and it may not give you an exact translation all the time. Anyone relying on information obtained from Google Translate does so at his or her own risk. The County of Santa Barbara does not make any promises, assurances, or guarantees as to the accuracy of the translations provided. The County of Santa Barbara, its officers, employees, and/or agents shall not be liable for any resulting damages or losses.
It is the purpose of the County of Santa Barbara website to provide accurate, non-editorial content that will inform Santa Barbara County citizens about the services, issues, operations and projects of Santa Barbara County government. In addition, the website will be used to facilitate the delivery of direct services provided by the Santa Barbara County government to its citizens and other customers. All Santa Barbara County government offices, departments, agencies, governing bodies, boards, and commissions are eligible to submit content or request the posting or hypertext linking to appropriate information to support their mission or service initiatives.
The County Webmaster, a member of Information & Communications Technology, General Services Department, is responsible for the management and oversight of the Santa Barbara County website. Comments about this site are welcome from any source and are always greatly appreciated.
The security of the information you provide to the Santa Barbara County is important to us. However, the Santa Barbara County site includes links to other sites, and when you choose to visit those sites, we are not responsible for their privacy policies or how they treat user information. In addition, we may permit third parties to offer registration-based services through our site. We are not responsible for the actions and policies of these third parties, and you should review the privacy policies of these parties when supplying personally identifiable information to them.
Links from Santa Barbara County Website
Organizations wishing to establish external links on the County's website must submit an
external link application. This form will contain all information necessary to verify the facts stated and is necessary to establish that the proposed link is in compliance with this policy.
External links may be made to websites that meet the following criteria, as determined by the County Webmaster:
- Sites that are owned and managed by a state, local or federal governmental agency or local school board.
- Sites that are maintained by an organization that receives direct financial support from the County.
- Sites that have a direct contractual relationship with the County for the provision of goods and/or services.
- Sites that provide a unique online resource that will assist in the provision of services and/or information that compliment the purpose of the County's web presence as outlined above.
- Sites that provide of non-profit/non-religious services that support the mission of the County of Santa Barbara.
- Entities that the County has an existing formal, contractual relationship with through direct funding, or co-partnership on programs.
External links will not be made to sites that fall within any of the following criteria, as determined by the County Webmaster:
- Sites that are owned or managed by a political party, candidate or special interest group or are of a political nature that are associated with, sponsored by or serving a candidate for elected office, any political party or organization supporting or seeking to defeat any candidate for elective office or ballot proposal.
- Sites that are owned, managed or provide content for commercial entities, that do not have a direct contractual relationship with the County for the provision of goods and/or services.
- Sites containing any materials that may reasonably be considered scurrilous or offensive. Offensive materials are defined as sexual content or images, slurs against race, religious or political beliefs, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin or physical attributes.
The County of Santa Barbara reserves the right to 1) deny an external link application as to any person, business or organization when it is determined, following review of a complete application, that the entity or organization for which application is made does not meet the criteria set forth in this policy; 2) deny an external link application as to any person, business or organization which fails to provide all required information, or fails to provide truthful information.
Removal of Content
The County Webmaster reserves the right to remove any external link if the nature of the organization or business to which the link relates no longer complies with the County's external link policy; 1) to discontinue an external link at any time if entities' website provides or promotes false, slanderous, illegal, immoral, or incorrect information at any time, or 2) to revise this policy without prior notice when to do so is deemed to be in the best interests of the County.
Copyright and Trademark
The County Logo is a trademark of the County of Santa Barbara. Any use of the materials stored on the County's website is prohibited without the written permission of the County of Santa Barbara. The County of Santa Barbara retains all intellectual property rights including copyrights on all text, graphic images and other content. This means that the following acts or activities are prohibited without prior, written permission from the County of Santa Barbara: 1) modify and/or re-use text, images or other web content from a County server; 2) distribute the County's web content; or 3) "mirror" the County's information on a non-County server.
Santa Barbara County is dedicated to preserving your privacy and security while viewing our website at www.countyofsb.org and related County websites. We strive to retrieve the minimum amount of information from our visitors necessary in order to provide a host of various services and resources.
Santa Barbara County ("the County") reserves the right to change these policies and the corresponding information on this page at any time without prior notice. Personal information may be required by law or in order for us to provide a requested service.
- We do not collect personal information about you when you visit our website unless you choose to provide that information to us.
- We collect limited non-personally identifying information your browser makes available automatically whenever you visit a website. This information includes the Internet address of your computer or network, the date, time, and page you visited on our site, your browser and operating system, and the referring page (the last webpage you visited before clicking on a link to our site).
- We use the aggregated information from all of our visitors to measure server performance, analyze user traffic patterns and improve the content of our site.
- We may track the keywords that are entered into our search engine to measure interest in specific topics, but we do not track which terms a particular user enters.
- Some of our online services require you to register for an account. We ask you for some personal information in order to create an account (for example, your name, email address and a password for your account) and we will use that information to provide the service. For certain services, such as our online payment services, we may request credit card or other payment information which may be stored temporarily in encrypted form on secure servers.
- On certain occasions, the public has opportunities to share personal information online with the County in order to facilitate better correspondence and service. This information includes but is not limited to e-mail addresses, responses to surveys, registering for services and new services to be created. Santa Barbara County will not disclose your personal information or use it for purposes other than those specified, without your permission, except as authorized by law.
The County uses hardware devices and software programs for the purpose of monitoring network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. Anyone using this Web site expressly consents to such monitoring. Except for authorized law enforcement investigations and the security purposes mentioned elsewhere in this notice, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits.
Unauthorized attempts to modify any information stored on this system, to defeat or circumvent security features, or to utilize this system for other than its intended purposes are prohibited and may result in criminal prosecution.
Users choosing to engage in electronic commerce with the County are provided reasonable security measures. E-commerce transactions are performed only under tightly controlled circumstances, where there are appropriate technological and other safeguards in place to protect financial and other sensitive data. County e-commerce systems supported on the County's web site are designed so financial data remains secure and with individuals and institutions involved in the transaction. Wherever possible, financial information is not collected by the County. Designated banks and financial partners route the data, transfer the funds and confirm payment to both you and the County.
- If you wish to access information, the County may use a session-only cookie to reserve storage on your computer in order to pass your inquiry information to a follow-on page for the purposes of retrieving requested information. The session-only cookies are erased either during web browser operation or after your web browser is shut down.
- If you wish to conduct on-line transactions the County may use a session-only cookie when processing your request. The type of information voluntarily submitted to fulfill your request varies by transaction and may include your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, social security or federal identification number, credit card number and expiration date, and/or driver license number.
- The County may also permit the use of persistent cookies for the collection of website metrics. These cookies do not collect or store any personal information.
Links to Third Party Websites
Revised February 28, 2014