Application Banner



Who can help me with health care coverage?

There are many resources to assist you locally. Public Health staff are trained and certified to answer questions and assist you with your application. Call one of our Health Centers to schedule an appointment:


931 Walnut Ave
Carpinteria, CA  93013
(805) 560-1050

1136 E. Montecito St
Santa Barbara, CA  93103
(805) 568-2099

345 Camino Del Remedio
Santa Barbara, CA  93110
(805) 681-54

301 N. R ST
Lompoc, CA  93436
(805) 737-6400

2115 S. Centerpointe Pkwy
Santa Maria, CA  93455
(805) 346-7230



How can I complete an application for health coverage through Medi-Cal or Covered California?

There will be a number of ways to complete an application:

  1. You may come to a Public Health Department Health Care Center where you can receive medical care and complete an application at the same site. Just call one of our 5 Health Centers to schedule an appointment with one of our Certified Enrollment Counselors. See "ASSISTANCE" above for phone numbers and addresses.
  1. You may complete an application on-line through the Department of Social Servicesor Covered California.

  2. You may call Covered California at 1-800-300-1506.


What should I bring to the appointment?

There are several documents you should bring to your appointment. They include:

1. Proof of identity, U.S. citizenship, and/or immigration status

Provide one of the following documents to prove both U.S. Citizenship, identity, and date of birth:

Certificate of Naturalization

Certificate of U.S. Citizenship

California Driver's License or ID

U.S. Passport

Department of State Form DS-1350

Certificate of Child Born Abroad

Department of State Form FS-545 or FS-240

Certificate of Birth Abroad

Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) Form N-550

INS Forms N-570, N-578, N-565, N-560, or N-561

INDV Fee Register Receipt (INS Form G-711)

Documentary evidence issued by a Federally recognized Indian Tribe, as published in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Indian Affairs which identifies the individual by name and confirms the individual's membership, enrollment, or affiliation with a tribe.

Tribal enrollment card

Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood

Tribal census document

Document on Tribal letterhead, issued under the signature of the appropriate Tribal official

2. Proof of Legal Residency status

Provide one of the following documents to prove your immigration status:

Permanent Residency Card (Green Card) (need front and back of card)

Employment Authorization Card (need front and back of card)

3. Proof of California Residency

Evidence the applicant has registered with a public/private employment agency in California

Current California driver's license or identification card

Current and valid California vehicle registration form in the applicant's name

Evidence the applicant is employed in California

Evidence that the applicant has enrolled his/her children in a California school

Evidence that the applicant is receiving public assistance in California

Voter registration form of receipt, card, or an abstract of Voter of registration

Current California utility bill in the applicant's name

Current California rent or mortgage receipt in the applicant's name

Other documents to support Proof of California Residency

4. Proof of Income

You can provide one of the following documents as proof of income:

Most recent paystubs for everyone in your household

Previous year's income tax return

Unemployment award letter/certificate

Pension statements

Social security benefit statement

Worker's compensation award letter

Child support/alimony check stubs

Veteran's benefits check stubs

Military paystubs

5. Additional documents to bring along

Social Security Cards for all members of the family

A valid state-issued driver's license

Proof of income for those claimed on taxes, regardless of their need for health insurance


When can I apply for health care coverage?

  • You can apply now!
  • Applications for Medi-Cal are accepted regularly with no end date.
  • Open enrollment for Covered California is November 1  to January 31.


When does open enrollment close?

  • Open enrollment closes January 31.
  • Call the Public Health Department to schedule an appointment with a Certified Application Counselor today.