The Office of Vital Records is responsible for registering all births and deaths and issuing burial permits in Santa Barbara County. We also issue certified copies of Birth and Deaths for the current year and some previous years. Please see links below for information.
In an attempt to stop the illegal use of vital records, and as part of statewide efforts to reduce identity theft, California law defines individuals who can obtain an authorized copy of a birth or death certificates. Authorized certified copies to establish the identity of a registrant can be issued only to authorized individuals.
If you cannot obtain an authorized copy, you can obtain an informational copy; an informational copy contains the same information as an authorized copy, but will have a legend across the face with the statement "Informational, not valid to establish identity". Certain items are redacted and an informational copy may not be used to obtain identification. However, authorized and informational copies are both considered "certified copies".
California law defines authorized individuals as:
- The registrant (person listed on the certificate),or a parent, or legal guardian of the registrant
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or domestic partner of the registrant
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney of licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code.
- A member of law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, conducting official business.
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any other person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on the behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate.
- Any agent or employee of a funeral establishment who acts within the course and the scope of his or her employment and who orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of any individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code
- [Death certificates ONLY]: Any surviving relative of the registrant as described in Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code.